Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Reminding Myself Why I Teach


This is why I coach (well, this is one of the many reasons). I get to be goofy with them! I get to be myself, have fun, and at the same time teach them how to be team players, better athletes, and human beings--all while doing one of my favorite things in the world: playing volleyball.
Sometimes I need a reminder why I coach... but I don't need to be reminded as often about why I coach as I need to be reminded about why I choose to be a teacher.
It used to bug me when I'd hear teachers respond to the question, "Why do you teach?" with "June, July, and August." If you're in this profession to get three months off each year, then you disgust me. Granted, it's a huge perk and I cherish every minute of my summer, winter, and spring breaks... but the time away from work is not the reason I do what I do.
Every once in a while, when I feel like I've hit an obstacle or found myself in a rut, I watch Taylor Mali perform his poem, "What Teachers Make." Follow this link to watch it. It's worth it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU
I feel better already. (Now that I've taken a short break to browse through Taylor Mali's work on Youtube. :) )
Today at lunch we had a spirited discussion about how disappointed we are with seemingly new attitudes among certain people at work. Many of us are in a state of discontent, and I've heard multiple times over the last few months, "If things don't get better next year, I'm out."
It's come out of my mouth quite a few times too. So Portland (or Chile), get ready....
... not that it will be any different or better anywhere else. I'm actually quite lucky to work where I do. My kids can be little jerks, but sometimes they're incredibly adorable and melt my heart, and THAT is the reason I do what I do. The majority of the time I honestly don't even care about what I teach them academically (if I even teach them anything academic). I want them to become better human beings. I want them to care about other people. I want them to be polite. I want them to ask for what they need and stand up for themselves if they don't receive it. I want them to question the rules and roles that society has put upon them. I want them to want something better for their lives and have the courage to go for it. I don't really care if they know all about Romeo and Juliet when they leave my class--I want them to get a chance to grow up, make mistakes, and learn about life in the safety of my classroom. And when I get a glimpse of something like that happening, it warms my heart and gives me just enough energy to come back tomorrow.
I guess that's all that is on my mind right now. I'm frustrated with school, but had a few moments today that really opened my eyes and reminded me that I love these kids. I'd do just about anything for all of them, and it's totally worth it.

No comments: