Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Wake-Up Call

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Proverbs 31:8-9

Had a nice little wake up call this morning at church. We finished up a three part series about the things most important to Christian faith: Loving God, Loving Others, and Serving the World.

A few years ago, one of my best friends, Gretch, wrote something that really resonated with me. I just looked all through my computer trying to find where I saved it--no luck :( But she wrote about how Christians should be the first to be liberal. Christ was a liberal: he fed the hungry, healed the sick, helped the poor, and hung out with the outcasts. Are we not called to be as Christ was, to do as He did? How can we be people of faith and not help? Why is it that we lead our own busy lives and too easily forget about all those who need our help?

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
But someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.'
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do."

James 2: 14-18

I'm going to do a better job of this.

Pastor Scott also talked about our motivations in doing good things and helping people. Our motivation is often (or occasionally) to promote ourselves--and shouldn't be. It should be a mere act of (or extension of) our faith, not something we do to get a thank you or recognition. This struck me because I was just telling my parents about something that happened on my way out of Portland last weekend. I was coming out of a full elevator on my way into the parking garage from Powell's. I got out and held the door out of the lobby open for seven or eight people. Not a single one of them even acknowledged my existence. I was slightly offended. I apparently expected something in return--a smile, a nod, a thank you... anything. I thought, "Fine... good riddance, Portland. You aren't what I thought you were... your people are jerks." But by the time I got to my car, I felt convicted for expecting anything in return for doing something nice. It just shocked me that out of all seven or eight of them, not a single one even looked at me. It still bugs me now! I really need to work on that. I should be invisible when helping people... why do I need recognition?!?!?

Anyway... these are just some current thoughts and things I need to work on.

Speaking of helping others... here's the link to help my new friends in Chile rebuild and get food and water to those who don't have it readily available after the quake(s). Follow it, if you feel led to help. If not, please at least pray for their safety and health!!!

http://iamweb.org

"Do not withhold good from those who deserve it,
when it is in your power to act.
Do not say to your neighbor,
'Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow'—
when you now have it with you."
Proverbs 3:27-28

No comments: